Commissioned Ruling Elders/Commissioned Pastors (CREs) have a critical leadership role within the Synod of the Covenant, a role which will only become more important. The purpose of the CRE Coordinator is to work with and among the Synod’s presbyteries to identify (encourage ruling elders into this expanded ministry), train (build skills), and support (spiritually nurture) CREs to live out their call to serve churches. The Coordinator will encourage cooperation and joint ministry between presbyteries. Because different
presbyteries are at different stages in their support for and development of CREs, the CRE Coordinator will also work with each presbytery in their specific needs.
1. Establish and maintain regular contact with presbytery staff leaders to understand each presbytery’s unique situation with respect to CREs, and how the CRE Coordinator can support them.
2. Facilitate conversation about minimum standards for training across presbyteries, and support presbytery leaders’ work to formalize these standards.
3. Initiate, learn from, and work alongside CRE Steering Team composed of knowledgeable constituents (CREs, presbytery leaders, etc.).
4. Develop synod-wide programming to train and support CREs, such as cohort groups, periodic continuing education/equipping events, mentoring, etc. Supervise any provider contractor called for these purposes.
5. Advocate for the critical role of CREs throughout the Synod.
6. Report to each stated meeting of the Synod Assembly on ministry activity.
7. Other duties as required to reach the expected outcomes (below).
• Increased numbers of CREs serving congregations fruitfully throughout the Synod.
• More creative and thorough training and support opportunities for CREs, with participation of critical mass.
• Strong relationships with presbytery leaders and steering team.
The CRE Coordinator reports to the Synod Executive, learns from/works alongside the CRE Steering Team, and regularly interacts with presbytery leaders and CREs.
The Coordinator will attend assembly, steering team, and periodic staff meetings (and is
welcome to all staff meetings as the Coordinator desires).
The Synod provides an office phone number and any software necessary for the work.
Qualifications, Skills and Experiences
- Commissioned Ruling Elder (preferred) or Teaching/Ruling Elder within the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
- Membership within the Synod of the Covenant strongly preferred.
- Excellent initiative and networking, organizational, verbal & written communication skills.
- Commitment to Anti-Racism.
- Background check.
This ten hour/week position includes the employer portion of FICA and a modest travel budget.
The coordinator’s performance will be formally evaluated annually, with regular conversations about strengths and opportunities to improve along the way.
Please send resume and cover letter to Executive Chip Hardwick, at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed beginning December 1, 2023. Questions? Call Chip at 309-530-4578. For information about the Synod,